Home Forum Downloads FAQ

HOW-TO Create track from spline using loft

About 3d Studio Max for Building Tracks...

HOW-TO Create track from spline using loft

Postby berglez » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:34 pm

I created a small tutorial with video how i created a track in 3ds max using loft.

http://www.b2-net.com/tutorial/34-creat ... in-3ds-max

many thanks to Lamda who helped me a lot.
berglez

Re: HOW-TO Create track from spline using loft

Postby delu77 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:26 am

berglez wrote:I created a small tutorial with video how i created a track in 3ds max using loft.

http://www.b2-net.com/tutorial/34-creat ... in-3ds-max

many thanks to Lamda who helped me a lot.

Great video...I have learned too much by watching to it, especially the loop selection and the split polygons into half... :aa:
Hope my system will be back to life soon!! :(
Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack
delu77
Site Admin

Postby miro » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi, guys.
So you had to mash the head, until you come to this way of mapping. I use to map easy and fast way. When LOFT, so forget about texture and type TrackTextureOpaquePlate below. When he wants to use the LOFT, so the mapping must use one texture width size loft. Length to give 2048 or 4096. And such a texture to map directly to the Loft and need not unwrap in Max. This is the advantage of LOFT:) The mapping of such a texture can also be used MorphMap script. :ok:

Main textures 2048x4096 (Peklo):

Miro
http://rbrtrack.blogspot.com/
miro

Postby eno72 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:39 pm

I frankly prefer the UVW unwrap method, because the repetition of such a texture can be noticeable, especially on the road surface.
Furthermore, I'm wondering how you can then manage junctions and crossings, you would need another plate for that, detaching the meshes involved. Again, I'm thinking of cliffs, cuts, potholes, grooves, ditches... with a repetitive texture you just can't have them, imho.

I agree this is a fastest method for rapid track generation, but I would add more variety, by reaching some sort of compromise between the structure of the textureplate and the speed of mapping (using for instance bigger pieces of textureplate to map about 20 squares at a time, or wisely using copy and paste functions within the UVW editor in order to reuse vast pieces of already mapped ground).

This is just my personal thought and my way of working, then I think each single modder will in the end refine his own method, based on pros and cons and on what is his vision.

Good night, RBR modders! ;)
“How'd you like to gaze at a beer can throughout eternity? It might not be so bad. There'd be nothing to fear.”
eno72
Site Admin

Postby miro » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:13 am

Exactly, every modders have their methods for modeling and texture mapping. What I wrote is just fundamental mapping tracks. I do not use only one texture. Of course, that texture must be designed to have formed for themselves. Then it comes to the UV mapping sections, such as trips, insert another type of texture, etc. It is then no longer the same as in the video tutorials. :)

Hi, Eno

EDIT: I did it my contribution to offend anyone. I know how it's difficult to imagine any effective way to work and create even more Videotutorial. Each chooses a procedure which suits him and he has tried. I wanted to say that it is in other ways. So angry.

I do not know good English and so it is translated via Google translator. Sorry.

Miro
miro

Postby eno72 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:54 pm

don't worry, Miro! I did not want to scold you either! ;)
It was just a discussion on what seemed maybe a too simplified method, at least at a first glance.
Conversely, I think it is a very good tip for everyone and can be considered when planning a project, depending on one's needs.
Again, I apologize if you felt hurt and I'll keep in mind that English is nobody's first language on this forum (isn't it?).
“How'd you like to gaze at a beer can throughout eternity? It might not be so bad. There'd be nothing to fear.”
eno72
Site Admin

Postby Parlesportes » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:58 pm

By using the tool "Conform" with the road and the ground , you can have the road that follows a bad raise .
For example on the first screen, the hairpin follow the ground but the ground was not correct. Normally it should follow the red line.

http://www.mabul.org/moe/up/10/11/29/m3i0eypn.jpg

So, how do I change my hairpin without having to completely remodel it ?

First I detached my hairpin polygons .
Then I applied the modifier "Melt" with these settings:
http://www.mabul.org/moe/up/10/11/29/mu5p0naf.jpg
http://www.mabul.org/moe/up/10/11/29/l7spkld1.jpg

You can play with the settings, you can obtain several shapes without any effort. Just by changing the solidity of the melt, I obtain something pretty good wich need just few changes
http://www.mabul.org/moe/up/10/11/29/oaukrlcg.jpg

Then, I use the soft selection to give new shape more appropriate.

I hope it can help.
Parlesportes

Postby Envolved » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi people im Jose (Envolved) and im from Argentina, i want to be a track creator and i want to share with you and averione the tracks that im creating, im using BTB, but my purpose is converting it to RBR format, im trying to learn eMeL method created by LakiMakromedia and Martinez, but y dont have the knows yet. You will see me here all days believme, thanks to you, thanks ENO72 !!
"Be good, take your time, do a good job, don´t do a low quality track, do a good quality track"
Envolved

Postby Andrea » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Envolved wrote:Hi people im Jose (Envolved) and im from Argentina, i want to be a track creator and i want to share with you and averione the tracks that im creating, im using BTB, but my purpose is converting it to RBR format, im trying to learn eMeL method created by LakiMakromedia and Martinez, but y dont have the knows yet. You will see me here all days believme, thanks to you, thanks ENO72 !!

Hi Jose.. welcome to DevTrack Forum..
i hope you receve all answer for building tracks.

sorry for my english... :(
Andrea
Site Admin

Postby Envolved » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:36 am

Andrea wrote:
Envolved wrote:Hi people im Jose (Envolved) and im from Argentina, i want to be a track creator and i want to share with you and averione the tracks that im creating, im using BTB, but my purpose is converting it to RBR format, im trying to learn eMeL method created by LakiMakromedia and Martinez, but y dont have the knows yet. You will see me here all days believme, thanks to you, thanks ENO72 !!

Hi Jose.. welcome to DevTrack Forum..
i hope you receve all answer for building tracks.

sorry for my english... :(

Andrea, dont woorry my english its worst lolo, : Lol :
"Be good, take your time, do a good job, don´t do a low quality track, do a good quality track"
Envolved

Next

Return to 3DSMAX