Home Forum Downloads FAQ

Create a far scenery with a Dem map

About 3d Studio Max for Building Tracks...

Create a far scenery with a Dem map

Postby delu77 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:17 am

Hi mates,
I have finally translate my guide. You can find it in the download section.
Good luck! :lol:
Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack
delu77
Site Admin

Re: Create a far scenery with a Dem map

Postby eno72 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:03 pm

this is a truly gorgeous tuto. Strongly recommended!
“How'd you like to gaze at a beer can throughout eternity? It might not be so bad. There'd be nothing to fear.”
eno72
Site Admin

Postby Parlesportes » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:23 am

Hi !

I've just come across your site and forum.
Shame on me. : Andry :

I just get back into creating tracks after having a few odd jobs in an architectural office.
So it's really valuable to fall on such information :)

It is a very good tutorial, thank you for sharing it :) :up:
Unfortunately there is not much data hgt valid for European countries. : Cry :

I'm about to try to build a road in north of Marseille (France) But the hgt data are not so good (many holes).
So I first used MicroDEM to fill void data before following your method to retrieve the far scenary and it works pretty good:)
If you want I can post a how to...

I have just one question in fact, how you place your driveline in max above your far scenary ? approximatively ? or you have a secret method to place it in correct coordinates ? :P

Thank you again to sharing.
Parlesportes

Postby delu77 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:44 am

It is a pleasure you liked my tuto!
As wrote in the pm, thanks for your joining and hope to see your project soon! :ok:
delu77
Site Admin

Postby Parlesportes » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:55 pm

For your far scenery, you use a size like 200m*200m per polygons.
Can we use two kind of far scenery ? like one close to road with a size like 50m*50m and a far with 200m*200m ? (so, in finish, we will have 3 kind of dimensions, one ground attach to the road with small polygons, one with 50m*50m and the last with 200m*200m )
I ask that because I want to use satellite map for the far scenery (really good on the area that I want to build. Lat : 43.196° Long : 5.569° if you want to see), and the road is near a cliff and we can see several "little" mountain in background so the 200m*200m resolution is too big to see really the shape of the ground...
I plan to use SasPlanet and photoshop to build the far scenery maps ( I think several maps will need ).
Does anyone try that ?
Parlesportes

Postby delu77 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:45 am

Parlesportes wrote:For your far scenery, you use a size like 200m*200m per polygons.
Can we use two kind of far scenery ? like one close to road with a size like 50m*50m and a far with 200m*200m ? (so, in finish, we will have 3 kind of dimensions, one ground attach to the road with small polygons, one with 50m*50m and the last with 200m*200m )
I ask that because I want to use satellite map for the far scenery (really good on the area that I want to build. Lat : 43.196° Long : 5.569° if you want to see), and the road is near a cliff and we can see several "little" mountain in background so the 200m*200m resolution is too big to see really the shape of the ground...
I plan to use SasPlanet and photoshop to build the far scenery maps ( I think several maps will need ).
Does anyone try that ?

Of course you can...
you can use this kind of method also for generating the "driveable" area, you will need some more work but you can.
Rest is only to decide the size of the polys, I have wrote this as example for the far scenery (cause usually the images aren't so defined).
I use this generated scenery also for placing some detailed loft over in, in order to have some small areas that follows the main road....

I know, I have to write a tutorial. Check "Bossola" project to understand what I mean!!! :ok:
delu77
Site Admin

Postby miro » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi,
Tutorial on the ground is super. If you have Pro version of SketchUp (8), so it can export as a DAE format via Importing plugin COLLADA (DAE) in Max import. A further procedure already, as in this tutorial.

My procedure was more complex:
The DEM I opened the HGT file and exported as TER format. In Terragen file I opened and exported without any modifications as LWO format. Opens in PolyTrans and saved as 3ds max format. But again I do not have the WRAP, because polygonal network was correct. I just had to convert it to quad polygons through max script (vb_quadrangulate.ms)...It was a daredevil approach :picchiatesta:

Once again thanks Delu77.

Miro
miro

Postby d.giarra » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:45 pm

Hello I am registered on the site NCED date, but I can not download maps ... someone can tell me how to do
d.giarra

Postby lakimakromedia » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:29 pm

d.giarra wrote:Hello I am registered on the site NCED date, but I can not download maps ... someone can tell me how to do

I got this same problem, solution is simple - put your file name in google ;)
RWD!!!
If FWD would be better, we should walk on hands ...
lakimakromedia

Return to 3DSMAX