Home Forum Downloads FAQ

Surface randomness

About 3d Studio Max for Building Tracks...

Surface randomness

Postby martinez » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:39 am

Hello,
I think this script can be usefull to make track and/or terrain surface more random - both physically and visually:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/random-selector

Direct download link: http://matyrix.com/random_selector_v3.0.mse

This works with Max 2009 and I suppose with other versions too. Dedicated to Editable Poly only.
Installation/usage - place the random_selector_v3.0.mse in "Scripts" folder, run Max, then goto MAXScript in top menu and "run" this script.

I was looking for some script that could make random displacement of selected vertices - did not find any so far, but when selecting random polys/vertices/faces I can now move them manually with small values in any direction. For this purpose, I think it's better to have all parts of road/terrain attached together to avoid making undesired holes in surface (or unselect what were selected on object's edges before applying the script). Unfortunately - it works on only one object, then Edit Poly modifier can not be used.

If you would like to check the effect - download my test track (I was learning making track with Loft and made this in 4 or 5 hours from the scratch, including making kml file from GE :) )
http://marcinjahr.com/rbr/track-999.rar
Default .col is flat - I used couple simple "cross-sections" for the Loft. Then there is another .col where I applied the script - just replace .col file and start stage again to feel the diference of driving.

I used values like 0,02 to 0,04 - that was maybe too much, but with gently touches I hope this script can be also usefull for you.
martinez
Time waster...

Re: Surface randomness

Postby Envolved » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Martinez, thanks for your contribution, i tested it, and its great! : WohoW :
"Be good, take your time, do a good job, don´t do a low quality track, do a good quality track"
Envolved

Postby martinez » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:00 pm

You welcome :) I think we can save some clicks during modelling ;)
martinez
Time waster...

Postby eno72 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:07 pm

an update on this: I'm now using the noise modifier of max.
No need for extra scripts and, especially, it can be used only on the selected vertexes/edges/poligons.
For instance, select a group of vertexes on your road (or offroad, whatever you want to do), please notice you can also use the soft selection for a smooth transition between the bumpy area and the flatter contiguous regions.
Then apply the noise modifier, playing with the parameters (read the max help for a good explanation). I use the fractal noise, with a very low scale (e.g. 0.05), some roughness (e.g. 0.2 or less) and raising only the z coordinate (maybe 0.2 meters). This is just a starting point.
After you are happy with it, collapse it, it will affect only the selected vertexes.
“How'd you like to gaze at a beer can throughout eternity? It might not be so bad. There'd be nothing to fear.”
eno72
Site Admin

Postby martinez » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 pm

I didn't know about Noise modifier when I posted about the script.
I found Noise some time ago, works great. But now I also know that soft selection affects the modifier, so more thanks! :)
martinez
Time waster...

Postby Lamda » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:41 am

sounds good, it is for make road bumpy ?

you know something which can make reverse like "unbump" (flatten a bumpy road, but not change roadangle)
maybe also make edges straight horizontal (to reflat the road including the roadangle)

Lamda
Lamda
Time waster...

Postby martinez » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:12 am

Maybe Relax from Paint Deformation (editable poly, vertex edit)? But it sometimes moves vertices in X and Y... There is something like Revert, but I didn't try it yet.
martinez
Time waster...

Postby eno72 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 am

maybe the relax modifier, but there's not a "only z" possibility. I searched for it on the net for a long time, it seems that max has not this feature.

@lamda: yes, the noise is good to make bumpy roads and also to give a more natural look to some kinds of terrain or to terrain cuts for instance.
“How'd you like to gaze at a beer can throughout eternity? It might not be so bad. There'd be nothing to fear.”
eno72
Site Admin

Postby delu77 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:48 am

I use the paint tools in editable poly...You need to play with paint dimension and strenght. You can always lock some vertexes with hiding them inside the editable poly panel befor using the paint deformation... ;)
Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack
delu77
Site Admin

Postby eno72 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:34 pm

eno72 wrote:maybe the relax modifier, but there's not a "only z" possibility. I searched for it on the net for a long time, it seems that max has not this feature.

@lamda: yes, the noise is good to make bumpy roads and also to give a more natural look to some kinds of terrain or to terrain cuts for instance.

please note that also the relax modifier can be used affecting only the selected vertexes, with soft selection active. Very good to smooth slopes presenting bad "steps". I may think that every modifier could be used only on a selection of subobjects ;)
eno72
Site Admin

Return to 3DSMAX