Home Forum Downloads FAQ

Creating a track using SRTM data

Tracks maps by Google Earth...

Creating a track using SRTM data

Postby Envolved » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:43 am

Hi! I want to show you a little way to make a track from Google Earth usin SRTM data.
Im using eMeL method to export the track to MAX.

I will be glad to know your opinion about this way of creating a realistic track. :)

Here a video i made.

Thanks!
"Be good, take your time, do a good job, don´t do a low quality track, do a good quality track"
Envolved

Re: Creating a track using SRTM data

Postby tibi » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Great video!
Some years ago I wrote this "method" to the hungarian forum, except the eMel method part. So I only said that it is for the road, but maybe hungarian modders use the road surface for creating the terrain at besides of the road. (Am I right that eMeL method is not more than use road surface for terrain? :) )
http://www.rallysimfans.hu/forum/viewto ... 20#p335120

Since then a lot of hungarian track made from this way. Example Királd-Sáta, Bükkszentlászló-Bükkszentkereszt, Lyukóbánya, Szilveszter Rally (Hungaroring) for Rfactor only (yet :o.O: ) made by Zolee, or Kisterenye made by Gabi81 for RX-plugin.

In your video I have heard nothing. There is no audio commentar? I didn't understand that, why do you split the track to 3 "Track" (road, gravel, grass)?
tibi

Re: Creating a track using SRTM data

Postby Lamda » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:24 pm

For tracks converting to original file form you must keep some important rules (to avoid problems with physic and shadows at the end):
-create quadratic polygones as possible, In my experience it should have a maximum releation lenght/width 2:1 (lenght is in driving direction)
-all driveable parts (including terrrain beside the roads) needs maximum polygonesize lenght aprox 4m width aprox 3m. It is important, that allways one tyre of the car be on another polygone as the other ones (if not, sometimes you falling down throught the ground)
-Multimaterial (blending textures by 3d programm) or Groundtextures with transparency do not work
-textured shadows (detailed shadows) will only cast on the groundmesh
-as best as possible try to get polygones with aprox same size. It helps to detail texture mapping and modeling in 3D programm (3dsmax or so on). There is much work need to convert (repair crossroads and remapping road textures to a pattern texture)
-Detail texturing less as possible at BTB, you need to remapping in 3D Programm. Don´t use single texture files for road and border, it will hell to work with 3d programm and the performance of result will very bad.

on this points, BTB isn´t best choice for building. There some quick automatism and mesh building features, but take the time to make it best as possible. As better you keep the rules in BTB as more time you safe for corrective actions in the following work.

for example:
generaly i use for road 4 rows and for border 2 rows per side for base. So i get 4x4 polygones per road texture square for bumpy parts and 2x4 polygones per road texture square for flat parts. The first (aprox) 10m beside the road i use quadratic polygones 1/2 of road texture square, til 20m same size as one road texture square. For more far terrain only the look is important. Not driveable parts can get bigger sized polygones (only look is important)

some additional notes for natural design:
Im not a friend of simple road design (the most avoidable fail for BTB tracks). The road must have natural details (different width, natural ditches) and matching textures of road to border and border to terrein. With BTB you can blend textures, for converted tracks you need textures for (blend by paint programm) All regular forms and pattern (for example automatism like loft road creating, use allways same road textures or place vegitation by pattern function) look unnatural and should avoid or detailed by handwork.

Lamda
Lamda
Time waster...

Return to Google Earth