Home Forum Downloads FAQ

object collision hardness change

Useful suggestions...

object collision hardness change

Postby Lamda » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:24 am

Did someone test to change the standard object collision hardness for moveable objects or for the other collision ID?

i feel, RBR default have only 3 collision hardness, full (you cant moving throught or object not moving itself, you got full damage)
hard (you get some damgag and object moving a little bit (good for bigger objects like strewballs)
"plastic" (you get low damage and or the object is flying away)

but i think we need something between full - hard and hard-plastic

someone try? changes working? problems?
Lamda
Time waster...

Re: object collision hardness change

Postby martinez » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:59 pm

I think "Data(don't remember which one, but you know) = 10" seems to be something what you are looking for. I use that value for wood logs and road signs as well.
martinez
Time waster...

Postby Lamda » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:17 am

i know and i know that materials are inside one *.lsp on same file as groundmesh physic. There some values but sense isn´t clear. My idea is, to take maybe 2 or 3 collision definition and custumise it. So i will get few mor possibilitys between original (and no total car crashes on little trees on realistic damage RBR settings). if that is possible it will changed in cooperation with NGP, so original collision value will working as past.

actual, i only look around for some experience of other trackmacker to save much as possible time.

if you know actual "useless" collision id´s, tell me. so we will try here first to change something (for example, i remember "pig" collision was never used ingame)
Lamda
Time waster...

Postby martinez » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Ok, I now know what you mean - great idea to make some reworked (and better) set of collisions. I can do it and check how I can sort them. We only must remember that some collisions work different at different car speed - I mean it sometimes depend on car impact. I will anyway try ASAP.
There are still some working bush collision - I will list them too.
martinez
Time waster...

Postby martinez » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:12 am

Ok, below are my observations and (subjective) comments so far.
(tested with realistic damage, Citroen Xsara, NGP V 3.1.0.51, Physics Revision 500)
Note: besides damage, "hardness" means also an ability to move: 0% = moves easily, 100% = does not move at all.

Data1:
0 - hard collision, does not move, hardness = 100%. Must stay for solid collisions.
1 - moveable, very soft - no damage even with high speed/impact. Good for rally signs like arrows, flags and other small/light objects. Hardness = 0%. Used for such objects in original stages. Must stay IMO.
2 - moveable - hit it around 65 km/h and your car is gone. Hardness = 90%. Worth to stay as is IMO.
3 - used by original RBR Start Clock. Works similar to 1, but when hit at high speed, makes some sound and sometimes is able to do a little damage (windshield, bodywork). Hardness = 10%. Must stay IMO, could be harder a little though.
4 and 5 seem to be unmoveable - exactly as 0. Hardness = 100%. So maybe these two can be reworked?
6 - quite soft - no damage at >50 km/h, little damage at around 100km/h, some medium damage at 150km/h. Hardness = 15-25%. Used for e.g. banners in original stages. Must stay IMO
7 - Seems to be the same as 3 or 1 - no damage at all, even when hit at top speed. A waste in my opinion, but found for wood log fence (??) in original stages. Hardness = 0%. Have no idea if it should stay untouched...
8 - makes more damage than 6: lost radiator and water pump when hit at around 80 km/h. Medium damage to front bumper. At <100 km/h lost both radiator and front bumper, but could still drive for a while... Hardness = 40-50%.Worth to stay as is IMO.
9 - more "effective"at higher speeds ( <100 km/h). Hardness = 30 - 40% Makes a little more sound (?) Hit above 120 km/h: Radiator and Pump - medium damage, bodywork - little damage. Worth to stay as is IMO.
10 - disables/destroys the car at 100 km/h. Seems to be the most progressive of all above collisions meaning of speed/impact. Hardness = 65-75%. Worth to stay as is IMO.

What Data3 means - I have no idea, also SurfaceID is a mystery obviously... I tried to recreate spectator collision by loading self made .cms and rewriting original values in Wallaby, but I failed.
Maybe there can be higher (than 10) values for Data1, but I don't have time now to check. You can develop my Max files/textures and try.

I have made some test area with all above collisions (link at bottom), you can drive and check yourself. I attached also Max files, textures and some original RBR collisions (cms) like Spectators, two bushes and Start Clock. There is also working Start Clock with proper lights I believe.

Both tarmac and wall textures used for this project were taken from http://textures.com (cgtextures.com).

Note: There is some issue - after couple hits, moveable objects of the same kind (the same Data1 ID) tend to disappear from stage and they sometimes show/hide depending of viewing distance. I have no idea why....

Enjoy, I'll be happy if somebody posts more comments after testing:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
| http://marcinjahr.com/trackbuilding/tes ... artinez.7z |
---------------------------------------------------------------------
martinez
Time waster...

Postby Lamda » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:08 am

Thanks Martinez for the big usefull comment

stay tuned.....
Lamda
Time waster...

Postby martinez » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:14 pm

When I set Data1=11 and higher values - collisions are not moveable and they are all solid. Tested 11 - 21 and lost energy for more ;)
martinez
Time waster...

Return to Tips & Tricks