Home Forum Downloads FAQ

skyDome

Useful suggestions...

skyDome

Postby zuikki1 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:28 am

try to use a skydome also with native format tracks. results could be really nice.. see my arctic project from work in progress section..
zuikki1

Re: skyDome

Postby martinez » Tue May 13, 2014 6:08 pm

Yes, it can be cool. Faces of the skydome must be facing the track, not the sky, so if you look at your skydome from outside, you must see backfaces.
martinez
Time waster...

Postby tibi » Thu May 15, 2014 2:27 pm

We are using it on our Wip track.

I think it is better for not too long tracks, or tracks which is placed on a smaller area.

You can simulate better sunset, or example aurora at the northern tracks.

And if the weather is bad, you can place an other .dds file int the wet folder.

I know that we can tune the original sky with the tracksettings.ini, but i think sometimes this looks better.

Somebody said in the other topic, that we can made stormy skydome, with lightning. But that will be unreal.. We say always that lightning, and didn't disappear.
tibi

Postby tibi » Thu May 15, 2014 2:31 pm

martinez wrote:Yes, it can be cool. Faces of the skydome must be facing the track, not the sky, so if you look at your skydome from outside, you must see backfaces.

I think if you open it as General Mesh, you can see both side of the object.

The only thing that you must take care, that delete it before you send a track to Wally to generate shadows. : Lol :
tibi

Postby martinez » Sat May 17, 2014 11:51 am

Negative. It can't be GM because it's too big and usually located too far from the track. Must be Scenery only. Flipping faces is not any problem in any 3D program :)
martinez
Time waster...

Postby tibi » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:42 pm

Yes, you are right. It is scenery object in our track. I don't know why I thought that it is general mesh..
tibi

Postby martinez » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:53 pm

No problem :)
I think using skydomes is nice, but in generall it reduces the options for weathers. I mean - whatever weather you create in .trackinisettings, you will see still the same sky. Some trick can be to set the sky texture as Ground Texture (.ini) and then use different skies-textures not only for dry/damp/wet and even still more for new/normal/worn.
There is more - the sky texture can be DTX1, but with alpha channel (so, it becomes DTX1 with 1bit alpha) - fill the alpha channel with 100% black and it will be transparent. Below .ini settings work correctly for DTX1/1bit alpha:

[SKY.dds]
MipLevels=3
Dynamic=true
OpacityMap=true
OneBitOpacity=false
IsGroundTexture=false // can be true as mentioned above
MipFilter=Linear
MinFilter=Point
MagFilter=Point
TextureFormat=DXT1

I think this kind of texture doesn't need any mip-maps (smaller file size and probably less PC/GPU calculations). I used 1024x1024 texture for 10 km (diameter) skydome and it looked very well.
martinez
Time waster...

Return to Tips & Tricks